The Pulmonary Function Lab at Jackson Hospital offers pulmonary function tests (PFTs) to measure lung volume, capacity, rates of flow, and gas exchange. A PFT test is a noninvasive test to show how well the lungs are working and can help your healthcare provider diagnose and treat certain lung disorders.
Now seeing pediatric patients ages 7 and up! PFTs: ages 10+. FeNO testing: ages 7+.
- Full PFT’s including DLCO and Lung Volumes
- Pre/Post Bronchodilator Testing
- Arterial Blood Gasses and Co-Oximetry
- Pulse Oximetry
- Patient education including but not limited to- MDI technique, pursed lip breathing, COPD, and Asthma
- FeNO Testing
How to Prepare for a PFT
- Wear loose-fitting comfortable clothing.
- May eat a light meal prior to testing.
- Do not take any inhalers until after test.
- No smoking the day of testing.
FeNO testing is a simple non-invasive test that can help determine how much inflammation (irritation or swelling) you have in your airways, and if inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) treatments would be beneficial. FeNO testing is used in patients with asthma, COPD, pulmonary hypertension, cystic fibrosis, and other chronic pulmonary conditions.
Anyone ages 7 and up can have a FeNO test.
All testing done in the Pulmonary Lab is reviewed and interpreted by the physicians at Montgomery Pulmonary Consultants. Once completed, your test results will be sent to your physician.
Once your doctor orders a FeNO test, appointments are scheduled through Jackson Hospital Central Scheduling department 334-293-8600
Our Pulmonary Lab is open Monday-Friday from 7AM-4PM. We also offer same day appointments.
- Do not smoke or consume foods high in nitrates (spinach, cucumbers, potatoes, garlic, etc.) for 12 hours prior to testing.
- Do not eat, drink, or exercise for 1 hour prior to testing.