Contact: Peter Frohmader
Montgomery, AL- Jackson Hospital has recently enhanced its surgical capabilities with the addition of a new integrated operating room for minimally-invasive procedures and the introduction of the latest version of surgical robot known as the da Vinci Si platform.
The future of operating rooms.
Jackson Hospital and the STERIS Corporation entered into a unique partnership to build one of the area’s most advanced operating rooms. The innovative Harmony iQ® integrated surgical suite was designed exclusively for Jackson Hospital and will be used as a working showcase for some of the latest STERIS technology.
Used primarily for minimally-invasive procedures, the suite includes many highly advanced features:
- Central systems control through a touchscreen control panel
- Three HD monitors on ceiling-mounted booms that can display video, medical images and mirror computer screens
- Harmony LED Surgical Lighting and Visualization System to illuminate more brightly, with less heat and minimal glare
- Advanced STERIS General Surgical Table that can be moved by one person for ease and versatility
“This new integrated surgical suite is a model of the future operating room. And a great partnership with Montgomery’s STERIS Corporation”, said Joe Riley, CEO of Jackson Hospital. “It allows surgeons to perform some of the most complex laparoscopic procedures that offer patients faster recovery, minimal scarring and less pain.”
The latest robotic technology.
Jackson Hospital was the first to offer da Vinci® Robotic Surgery in the River Region and now they’re the first to bring the latest advances to the area. Using the da Vinci SiTM System, surgeons at Jackson Hospital are using one-of-a-kind technology:
- Single-SiteTM technology allows virtually scarless surgery. Currently used for gallbladders, but will soon be approved for more applications
- FireflyTM fluorescence imaging allows surgeons to identify critical tissue reducing damage to healthy tissue
- EndoWrist® OneTM Vessel Sealer used to seal and cut vessels in one motion saving valuable time during applicable procedures
- EndoWrist Suction/Irrigator allows surgeons precise control during partial kidney removal to better identify bleeding vessels, improve access to hard-to-reach anatomy and excellent vision of the tumor during removal
“The Single-Site procedure allows for a great cosmetic result and a scar that is virtually invisible,” said Dr. Gary. “Using the robot allows for much greater precision than when using manual laparoscopy and is a terrific option for many patients. I’m pleased that we can now offer this advanced surgery here for patients at Jackson Hospital.”
About Jackson Hospital
Founded in 1946, Jackson Hospital is a locally-owned and operated not-for-profit healthcare provider serving Montgomery and the Alabama River Region. Our patient-centered care includes a 344-bed tertiary hospital with more than 300 affiliated providers, a multispecialty physician network and freestanding imaging and surgery centers. Specialties include cardiac, cancer, neurosciences, orthopedics and the area's most comprehensive robotic surgery program.
About STERIS Corporation
STERIS Corporation is a leading provider of infection prevention and surgical products and services for healthcare, pharmaceutical and research markets. STERIS employees around the world work together to supply a broad array of equipment, consumables and service solutions that help enhance Customer productivity and quality. The Company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol STE. For more information, visit www.steris.com.
About the da Vinci® Surgical System
The da Vinci® Surgical System is a breakthrough surgical platform designed to enable complex surgery using a minimally invasive approach. The da Vinci Surgical System consists of an ergonomic surgeon console or consoles, a patient-side cart with three or four interactive robotic arms, a high-performance vision system and proprietary EndoWrist instruments. Powered by state-of-the-art robotic and computer technology, the da Vinci Surgical System is designed to scale, filter and seamlessly translate the surgeon's hand movements into more precise movements of the EndoWrist instruments. The net result is an intuitive interface with breakthrough surgical capabilities. By providing surgeons with superior visualization, enhanced dexterity, greater precision and ergonomic comfort, the da Vinci Surgical System makes it possible for more surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures involving complex dissection or reconstruction. Frequently cited patient benefits include less pain, a shorter recovery and quicker return to normal daily activities.