Your Heart's in Good Hands
Learn about Jackson's cardiac cath lab suite.In fall 2006 we expanded heart center services at Jackson Hospital by adding a second cardiac catheterization lab suite. the suite has state-of-the-art digital flat-panel imaging equipment, which allowed us to double capacity, increase the amount of data that is charted during procedures and provide staff with instant patient history information.
Since then, another major change we have made is moving the process of implanting pacemakers from the operating room to the cath lab. Mary Rae Ziegler, RN, BSN, director of the Jackson heart center, said this change has enhanced continuity of care for our patients.
"In the heart center, we register our own patients and get to know them and their families while we do their pre-op workups," Ziegler said. "Typically a patient will have the same nurse who does all their pre-op workup, is involved in the procedure and continues to care for the patient throughout the recovery process." In addition, a large percentage of the patients who need pacemakers have already been to the cath lab for other heart related
conditions. As a result, they are familiar with our staff and become comfortable knowing they are in good hands.
Our Heart Center Features
- A Philips flat-panel cardiac system capable of completing diagnostic, interventional cardiac and peripheral procedures without surgery.
- A six-bed pre- and post-procedure unit.
- A separate waiting room for heart patients.
- Increased capacity for cardiac catheterization which allows us to better serve the River Region Community as the demand for heart care increases.
- Increased focus on emergency intervention to prevent or reduce harm from heart attacks.