Skip to main content
  • COVID-19 Updates
  • Make a Payment
  • Jackson Connect
  • Locations
  • Find a Physician

    Find a Physician

  • Search

    Search the Site

Health library

Back to health library

Kids and sports: A parent’s game plan

Keep your child safe this sports season.

Organized sports can be good for kids. Participating in sports can help improve motor skills as well as overall fitness. And being part of a team can help teach young people social skills too.

While organized sports are generally safe for kids, injuries do happen. Kids younger than 15 in the U.S. have more than 3.5 million sports-related injuries each year. About 95 percent of sports injuries are minor bruises, muscle pulls, sprains, strains or cuts. The other 5 percent include serious injuries, such as broken bones.

To help keep injuries from sidelining your child, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and other experts recommended that you:
  • Seek a qualified coach who will create a positive, safe learning environment for your child.
  • Help your child get in shape before he or she starts playing. Ask the coach about conditioning programs.
  • Make sure that your child learns the rules and proper techniques of the sport.
  • See that your child has all the protective gear needed and that the gear fits properly.
  • Emphasize fun. Too much pressure to win or to excel at a sport can lead to injuries.

American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; American Academy of Pediatrics


Get ready

Get your kids ready for the game with a free sports physical on Saturday, May 14, at Trinity Presbyterian School, sponsored by Jackson Hospital and Alabama Orthopaedic Specialists and Rehab associates. Contact your child’s coach or physical education instructor for details.

Related stories