Makes 9 servings.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
14 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa
Nonstick cooking spray
1 medium celery stalk, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small bunch green onions, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 14 1/2 -ounce can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
4 cups water
2 cubes of low-sodium chicken bouillon
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Cut the chicken breasts and kielbasa into 1-inch chunks.
- Spray a medium-sized pan with nonstick cooking spray. Brown the kielbasa and chicken over medium heat and remove from the pan.
- Add the celery, onions, garlic, green onions, bell pepper and diced tomatoes to the same pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Put the cooked meat back into the pot. Add the rice, water, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaf and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 50 minutes* or until the water is evaporated and chicken is cooked (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- Stir in parsley and serve warm.
*Instant rice will take less time.
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 250 calories, 4g total fat (1g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 31g carbohydrates, 22g protein, 5g dietary fiber, 531mg sodium.